Monday, April 13, 2015

Hear the Music

Hello hello hello!

Church sign of the week:
"Spread the gospel, not gossip"
Truth.

Well, transfer calls were on Saturday night, and we got the news that Sister Woodard and I are both staying in Beaufort, and I am a happy camper!

This week was a wonderful one, but one of those weeks that I can hardly remember. So here are some pictures from the week (well, mostly P-day).

And I wanted to share one of my favorite stories from last weekend's general conference:

Years ago I listened to a radio interview of a young doctor who worked in a hospital in the Navajo Nation. He told of an experience he had one night when an old Native American man with long braided hair came into the emergency room. The young doctor took his clipboard, approached the man, and said, “How can I help you?” The old man looked straight ahead and said nothing. The doctor, feeling somewhat impatient, tried again. “I cannot help you if you don’t speak to me,” he said. “Tell me why you have come to the hospital.”

The old man then looked at him and said, “Do you dance?” As the young doctor pondered the strange question, it occurred to him that perhaps his patient was a tribal medicine man who, according to ancient tribal customs, sought to heal the sick through song and dance rather than through prescribing medication.

“No,” said the doctor, “I don’t dance. Do you dance?” The old man nodded yes. Then the doctor asked, “Could you teach me to dance?”

The old man’s response has for many years caused me much reflection. “I can teach you to dance,” he said, “but you have to hear the music.” - Elder Wilford W. Andersen


May we all take a moment this week to pause and hear the music.

Much love, Sister Szilagyi

No comments:

Post a Comment