Monday, January 20, 2014

Dirt Roads in Backwoods

Hello hello hello my dearest family and friends,

There is so much I want to talk about this week and I have hardly any time to do so... So, once again, I apologize for how disjointed this is going to be, but here it goes:

First, let's discuss the weather, shall we? 70 degress, 40 degrees, sunny, pouring, and how 'bout a tornado warning? All in one week. We are always kept on our toes, that's for sure. My favorite quote of the week was brought to you by Elder H: "We gotta go! Or else we're going to be sucked up by a tornado, and I don't want to teach the gospel in Oz!" I have a wonderful picture of the day when we were forced to stay inside for a couple hours because of a tornado warning. And driving/walking along dirt roads in backwoods Georgia after a rain storm? Akin to Mario Cart/the obstacle courses from the show "Wipe Out". Oh, and don't forget this is all being done in a skirt. Fun times are had by all. Despite the tumultuous weather, the work has been far from it. We were able to meet and teach so many fantastic people this week. Oh, and we have a change in the roommate situation! Sister W was transferred to the Augusta zone, and in her replace we gained.... drum roll please....... Sister T!!! The coolest, biggest tom boy, most hilarious, absolutely wonderful person who you will ever meet. And did I mention that she is Samoan/Tongan? Which makes her that much cooler. Because everyone just loves Polynesian missionaries, that's just a fact of life. Every night we go to bed and she tells us that she loves our faces. And let me tell you, I love hers.

Let me try to do some catching up here.. E and the crew are doing so wonderfully. Yesterday, six of them made it to church! Seeing E and O walk in in their matching red outfits (E in her red church hat and dress, and O in his red striped suit), with four others behind them? Man, I don't think I have ever been happier. Especially because Sister Waddoups and I were both speaking in church. And let me tell you, there is nothing better than standing at the pulpit and hearing E softly saying "Amen! Amen!" in response to your talk. Man, they are the best. Each time we go over to E's to teach, there are new people (recently added to the group are C and G, whose nickname is Peanut). And Peanut has the most awesome white soul patch. Wow, did I mention how much I love these people?

This week, we were able to go to the baptism of J, one of the guys the elders have been teaching. J is 23, and seriously one of the most amazing people I have ever met. Last Sunday, during testimony meeting, he got up and bore one of the most amazing, pure, testimonies I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. He talked about how he has studied every religion under the sun, and been searching for a long time, and that he's never experienced one that felt this right. He also talked about how there is opposition in all things, especially when you are trying to do the right thing. Satan does not want you to come closer to Christ, and he will do everything in his power to prevent that from happening. And wow, after his testimony, the flood gates opened. And the most amazing testimony meeting ever occurred! Everyone that got up after J talked about how the gospel of Jesus Christ, and His church, are not for perfect people. This is the place for wounded souls and the care center for the people that want to be a little better each day. It was remarkable. And the Spirit was so strong.

This week we also met L and her family. We have been able to teach them twice, and there is not a lot much cuter than little children repeating out loud the first chapter of Nephi in the Book of Mormon. The cuteness of these kids are overwhelming. It's hard because I want to kidnap them all and take them home and hug them forever... but for some reason that is not allowed.

I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to serve the wonderful people of Southern Georgia. There is so much goodness in this world. And paraphrasing words given by our wise prophet, Thomas S. Monson: Sadness and suffering are universal, but so are happiness and joy. Instead of focusing on the sadness and suffering in the world this week, I urge you to look for the happiness and joy. I love you all. I love this gospel, and the perfect joy that is found in following Jesus Christ and His example. Oh, and smile. You are a beautiful child of God.

Sister Szilagyi

No comments:

Post a Comment