Monday, January 20, 2014

Raucous, Joyful, Inspirational

Hello my lovely family and friends. I have been thinking about how I was going to start this email, and the only thing I can say is: This week has been one of the most absolutely, positively most amazing weeks of my entire life. I cannot even hope to capture all of the blessings and miracles that happened to Valdosta, GA this week, but I'm going to do my best. I apologize in advance for any disjointedness...

Remember B, who we met outside her house and she invited us in? That woman really is a ray of sunshine. Well, it seems like every time we drive by her place, the Lord leads her outside. We have been able to meet with her and pray with her, and this week she called us and told us to visit her friend who was in the hospital. It meant a lot to us that she trusted us enough to go bring some peace to her friend that was suffering. Sister Waddoups and I actually made two trips to the hospital that day because we are also attempting to work with cancer patients as clergy who will talk to people in crisis. I'm really hoping that will work out.

We met the most amazing people this week. Descriptions follow:

After teaching and visiting with a very sweet old man with no teeth, we ran into the most interesting character. He was leaning against his house in an army jacket and clutching his walking stick. We went over to talk to him and quickly caught on that he was quite the eloquent and articulate man. He promptly began telling us his life story, which, if it is true, is the most amazing life story I have ever heard. He is an MIT graduate (he took the entry test because he went to keep his friend company), an undercover police officer, artist, photographer, journalist, IBM student, US army draft pick, Wall Street expert, and all around luckiest guy in the world. One of the most entertaining conversations I've had in my life.

This paragraph is going to be about the wonderful, amazing E. Where to begin? Miss E is a feisty 76 year-old woman, who lives in the most elaborately, knick-knacky decorated house, and is the epitome of a Christian woman. Woweewowwow. This woman takes in homeless people off the street, washes them up, cleans their clothes, feeds them (both with food and with scripture), and houses them. There a people living in every corner of that house. The only way I can describe her house is a gypsy, antique-roadshow, fake flower-covered, curtains on every door, rugs on every floor, and knick-knacks on every single surface masterpiece. There is a not a square inch of that woman's house that is not being used. When we first met E, she told us that we needed to come back later and she'd have people to talk to us. What we came back to was nothing short of a miracle. The first time we taught at Miss E's, we walked into her house and were directed to a room where there sat 7 people, arranged in chairs along every wall, waiting to be taught. What then proceeded was the most raucous, joyful, inspirational, "Praise the Lord!" lesson that I have ever had the pleasure of being in. On multiple occasions, we had people jumping up and down, raising their hands and I have never heard "Amen!", "Preach it!", and "Hallelujah!" said so many times in that short amount of time. It was wonderful. And I can see the appeal of being a Baptist preacher, I really can. I mean on more than one occasion, Sis. Waddoups and I had a man fanning our faces with a pamphlet. With all the hoopla, one would think that there would be no spirit, but in the moments of sincere testimony, I heard some of the most amazing stories. All brought about by the power of God. One man had been in jail and learned to read by reading and studying his Bible. It was a lesson never to be forgotten. And when we came back a few days later, we were nervous that this was just a one time thing. However, when we returned, we found people once again gathered in our small room (new people were there as well), with the pamphlets we had left perfectly aligned on the coffee table in the middle of the room. Anthony, one of the men we had met the week previously, was sitting with his pamphlet open, and told me that he had opened to this page because "Last week, y'all said we would be talking about the Book of Mormon. So I opened to the right page. They said that you wouldn't come, but I knew you would." What followed was a less lively, more spiritual version of the first lesson, and we were able to sit and read out of the Book of Mormon. We gave out seven Books of Mormon. And then the kicker: at the end of the lesson, Miss E essentially called everyone to repentance and told them, "These girls have been called here by God! I know that what they are saying is true. Because I am listening with my heart, and not with my ears. And if we say we are going to go to church with these young girls, we are going to go! That man up there ain't nothing to mess with!" One man started to say something off topic, and she cut him off and said, "Don't let Satan distract you! You listen here, these girls come exactly when they say we will, and when we promise to do something, we're gonna do it, you hear me?" She then quickly organized a carpool with everyone there, and come next week, you may hear about how we had 10 new visitors at church. Man, you couldn't make this stuff up. She is just the best. And two of the people, including Miss E, are preparing for baptism. So many miracles.

Another one of the amazing people we met is B. She is a recovering drug addict of 2 months, and is just recently in an apartment after being homeless for a long time. The elders found her when they were knocking and she told them that she had been waiting for missionaries to come back. She said that missionaries used to visit her neighbor all of the time, and she had wanted to meet with them as well. In the approximately 30 seconds the elders talked to her, B said she wanted to be baptized. And the elders introduced us to her the next day. Our first lesson with B went very well, and she loved everything we taught her. She said she wanted to be at church, but didn't have a ride. So she gave us her number so that we could call her when we found her a ride. We organized a ride for her, but then couldn't get a hold of her, so we decided to stop by. She said multiple times, "I knew you'd come, I knew you'd come tell me." And the following Sunday? In walked B. Sunday was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. I have never experienced a more inspiring testimony meeting, Sunday school class, or relief society class. We could not have planned a more perfect Sunday. Every class and every word said was exactly what B needed to hear. And she absolutely loved it. At the end of church, she was hugging everyone and just so happy. This is the kind of change the gospel of Jesus Christ can have in a person's life. And this was only after one Sunday and one lesson.

My blog is named "Many Mighty Miracles" because I knew that when I was going to be out here in Southern Georgia, I would experience many. I had no idea truly how many. Or with what power. The hand of God is so evident everywhere I look. Heavenly Father is truly aware of us. Of our deepest desires, and deepest fears. He knows that we can accomplish anything through faith in Him and His son. And it is so. I have been out for six weeks. Only six weeks. And I can say to you with confidence: believe in miracles, I have already seen so many.

I love this work. I love this gospel. If it were not true, it would not so perfectly heal everyone's wounds. It would not be the perfect balm for everyone's souls. As was so perfectly said in church on Sunday, we are not a religion or church for perfect people. We are a hospital for wounded souls, and tired minds. And for those that are not quite so weary, we are a clinic to improve and grow. Everyone can be a little better. Every day we can choose to be a better version of ourselves. One iota better than the man or woman we were the day before. So this year, who do you choose to be?

Much love,
Sister Szilagyi

No comments:

Post a Comment