Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Two Peas in a Pod

I'd like to start off by saying that I'm sweating here in Georgia and it's FEBRUARY. I may perish this summer. Please pray for me.

And now it's time for...... Fabulous church signs from southern Georgia!
This week:

"Seven days without prayer makes one weak"
and
"CH   CH
What's missing?
UR"

Fantastic stuff. The little old church man who is putting these up is definitely not getting paid enough for these. I assure you.

Anyway, this week has been another great one. The start of a new transfer, a few new faces, and a new resolution to be an even better missionary than I was these last six weeks. But all in all, it was a R kind-of-week. Let me explain:

Let's talk about C. C is Sister E.R.'s husband who's not a member of the church. Sister E.R. is the most fantastic hilarious 60-something year old woman from Rhode Island and has the best New-England accent ever. And C is just the epitome of the stereotypical New Englander. Loud, bold, hilarious, and loves a good meal. And we get along just swimmingly. C had been studying/working with previous missionaries for a long time and was about to be baptized when he changed his mind. And that was pretty much the end of that. However, Sister R invited us over for dinner one night because she thought that C and I would get along, and boy did we ever. Two peas in a pod, C and I. I know that I am currently in Valdosta, GA because I was supposed to meet C. And talk about doubt and psychology and doctrine and everything that I hold most dear. This last time we went over for dinner, we were a bit nervous. We had given him the talk, "What Is the Blueprint of Christ's Church?" by Tad R. Callister (which Sister Wong from my home ward had sent me in the mail, SUCH an answer to prayer!) to read and we told him that we would discuss it the next time we came over. Well, I was a bit apprehensive, hoping that we had made the right decision in giving him this talk to read. We sat down and I was sitting right across from him and he was just staring at me right in the eyes. And then he said, "You girls know how much I loved the other sisters that taught me the first missionary lessons. And I didn't think I was going to find anyone like that ever again. I never wanted to open that door again. I just wanted to tell you sisters that you just went above and beyond anything they ever did." And Sister Waddoups and I are just sitting there stunned, because #1: He LOVES those first sister missionaries he met with, and #2: We didn't even really do anything except give him a talk to read! So we're sitting there, and he continues: "That article was one of the clearest, most concise, articles about Christianity and the church that I have ever read. And I loved it. You all have rekindled the fire of my faith." I mean wow. This man, who loves football, and loves food even more, and loves arguing, and who has so many doubts and questions and concerns and didn't even want to talk about religion, was GUSHING about this article. And he was excited and so happy. And I was SO HAPPY. Through the roof happy. So basically, C is the best and I can't wait to see how this journey is going to unfold.

Next, let's talk about Sister L.R.. Sister L.R. is the Relief Society President here in Valdosta 2nd Ward and pretty much the greatest thing since sliced bread. I mean, I've met quite a few passionate, loving, wonderful women in my day, but this woman? She's a keeper. And I love her to death. Let me try to explain Sister R. She is loud, loving, has about 7 or 8 giant wooden llamas decorating her front lawn (in trees, on the grass, on the fence), and takes full advantage of Facebook and it's many features. Her family is so great. And she has been so wonderful and supportive in doing missionary work. With our new ward mission plan, the Relief Society sisters are trying to go out with Sister Waddoups and I at least twice a week, and Sister R has taken it upon herself to organize various women to go out with us to as many scheduled appointments as possible. It just makes our job so much easier and more effective with the support we are receiving from the ward. And she has been there every step of the way. We are so lucky to have her. She's a gem.

I was doing quite a bit of thinking this week. I was fairly certain that I was going to leave Valdosta this last transfer, and then when I found out that I wasn't, and nothing was changing, I felt a bit thrown for a loop. I was just so sure. And it caused me to contemplate why Heavenly Father wants me in Valdosta, serving with Sister Waddoups. It caused me to contemplate how I could improve. And what I needed to change. This all came to a head one night as I sat at my desk. I had my study journal in front of me, and quite suddenly, a thought came into my mind. And I wrote it down: "Would I be a different missionary if Christ was my companion? If so, CHANGE." I thought about every time I have felt nervous, or uncertain, or unprepared. Or every time I have not approached someone that I later wished I had. Or every time I felt that all-too-familiar doubt creep in. Or when I just wanted to sit in the car for a couple more minutes because I was so tired. I thought about how I would act differently if every single one of those situations if my missionary companion was Jesus Christ. And so this transfer, Sister Waddoups and I have decided to focus on "Being Christ's Companion". Each week, we will focus on a Christ-like attribute (such as Charity and Love, or Patience), and create measurable goals for each day to help us work on developing/strengthening those attributes. I hope that these goals will help me be a better missionary. And a better person. I'd like to challenge y'all to something similar. Choose a Christ-like attribute that you'd like to improve upon and study it. And then create goals for yourself. I promise that as you do, Heavenly Father will provide you with opportunities to do so. (For example, this morning, Sis. Waddoups and I made the goal of asking 5 people if we could help them. What happened this morning as we were outside cleaning our car? One of our neighbors locked herself out of her house. And I was able to use my ninja skills to break into her apartment with a credit card. Thank you Elder Christian.)

I love y'all so much. Thank you for being constant examples to me. And for providing me with such love and support. As my sister, Isabel reminded me this week: "Szilagyi girls are strong." You can be strong too :)

Alma 26:12 "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things..."

-Sister Szilagyi

1 comment:

  1. I love your thought: If Christ were my companion. Maybe all of us should use that idea. If Christ were my spouse. If Christ were my family member, my neighbor, my child...
    You are an example to all of us!
    <3 Jan Johnson

    ReplyDelete