Saturday, July 26, 2014

Seed of Faith

Hello wonderful people!

So this week's letter might be a little different than usual. It's probably going to be rather short. And I don't really have any stories to tell, or funny things to describe. I just wanted to take a moment and talk about faith. On Sunday, a man spoke in church and gave this quote: "Faith is the choice of the nobler hypothesis." And wow, did I love that. With every person who says,"Prove to me that God exists," there is the counterpoint: "Prove to me that He doesn't." If we have only the smallest seed of faith, or even a desire for that faith to be something more, to be true or real or have meaning, we can build upon that. There is a scripture in the Book of Mormon that explains this concept so beautifully:

"But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words." -Alma 32:27

How beautiful is that? That scripture filled me with hope when I felt as though I would never be certain. That I COULD never be certain. That I could never KNOW if this was it. But God did not leave us here to be uncertain and full of doubt and confusion. He has given us answers and a plan. And the next verse in the chapter gives us even more hope:

"Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves-It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me." -Alma 32:28

The Lord has outlined an experiment for us to try. And it's up to us to decide whether that experiment is worth it. And to me, it has been. It has been the most important thing that I have ever done in my entire life. Because, in this experiment, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I love you all very much. I know that although I will continue to have questions, I can always to turn to my scriptures for the answers.

As Robert D. Hales said: “When we want to speak to God, we pray. And when we want Him to speak to us, we search the scriptures.”

Don't give up on faith, it is so very worth it.

Love,
Sister Szilagyi

No comments:

Post a Comment