Saturday, July 26, 2014

Worth the Mosquito Bites

Hello beautiful people!

Drum roll please.......... and the church sign of the week is:

"Without the bread of life, we are toast"

Always a treat. I know that y'all wait with baited breath for those every week. I'm glad I can be of service.

How are things?? Things are pretty wonderful down here in good ol' Grovetown. Speaking of toast, I would say that I am turning into a piece, however it's more like a piece of toast dunked in water. Yesterday, Sister Walker and I were walking to visit some people with B (who is going to be a senior next year), and I looked up at the sky and said, "A storm's a comin!" And come it did. We didn't just get rained on, we got poured on haha. Poor Miss B was probably thinking, I'm never coming out with these crazy missionary girls ever again. But when the rain does come, it really isn't all that bad because it is so wonderfully warm. And it helps relieve some of the humidity.

We have been able to see some wonderful progress in this area in just the last week. Every missionary companionship (all three) were able to have at least one investigator at church yesterday, and we were blessed to have three people come that want to learn more! Two of those lovely people are T and C, who I can't remember if I've talked about yet or not. But they are just the sweetest, most beautiful young married couple, both 20, and T is due to have a baby girl next month. So excited to see where they are headed.

We also had a wonderful zone conference, where our mission president showed us a clip from LDS.org about the amazing growth of the church and missionary work in Brazil. I get to hear about specifics myself from my good friend, Alex Burt, who is currently serving there. And I have often felt just slightly jealous of the experiences he tells me. After the video, our mission president wrote these two questions on a black board: "Why not here? Why not now?" We spent the next hour or so discussing the unbelievable potential that the south has, and how it is our time to help the people here, with just as much success and Brazil has been experiencing. I know that we can do it. It was very inspiring.

This week I was also able to go on exchanges with Sister Smith in Harlem. Harlem, GA. Man, look that place up. It's the best. I would like to give you a small taste of my mission really quickly. A quote from a woman that we talked to who was sitting in her a rocking chair on the front porch of her trailer: "This is the South. We cut our teeth on cornbread and Jesus." I love this place. Also, selling pink-eyed peas and watering a garden as the sun goes down on Georgia farmland, the horses, fields, and crickets? Nothing can beat that. Totally worth the mosquito bites.

I love you all so much. Smile, this world is a beautiful place.

Sister Szilagyi

P.S. Yesterday I asked a boy, "Where your shoes at?" Yeah... that's a problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment