Monday, October 20, 2014

You Know You're in the South When...

Hello wonderful guys and gals!

I'd like to start with a scripture:

"For behold, I am God; and I am a God of miracles ; and I will show unto the world that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and I work not among the children of men save it be according to their faith." -2 Nephi 27:23

So I am currently serving in the Georgia Macon Mission. And many of you may know that we are "Macon Miracles" down here in the south. Anywho, this week has been a week of miracles... with a few moments of uncontrollable laughter in between. And that is plum perfect to me.

To begin, have I mentioned that Sister Arrieta is terrified of... well pretty much everything, and her biggest fear is snakes? Well, most of the houses are decorated for Halloween of course, and we were approaching a door, when I saw that the family and strewn a rather large rubber snake across one of the bushes. Now before y'all think I'm the meanest companion on planet earth, I only saw this snake about .5 sec before she did, and therefore had no time to warn her. Anywho, she glanced over that snake and jumped & screamed and hid behind me, clutching my shirt in her hands. And I laughed my bloomin' head off. It was great. She was shaking for a while. She's fine now. I promise.

Okay, miracles!

-K: He is doing great! He is super awesome, has a ton of amazing questions, and we were able to have two lessons with him this week, both with members present. During the last lesson, he made a comment that everything that we told him so far was in line with everything that he already believed and thought, and that nothing had shocked him yet. I then made the comment: "K, can I tell you something? Everything that we are here to teach you and talk to you about? You already know. It's going to have a familiar ring to it because before you came to earth, you already knew about all of this."
And he just sat there and said very quietly, "That's scary.... I mean not really scary, but... you know what I mean..."
The gospel doesn't sound so good because it's too good to be true, it sounds so good, because it IS true! And I love truth :)

-R is doing really well and is praying about baptism! We're so excited for him!

-We had a wonderful lesson with P and he promised to be at church on Sunday, and he came! He is super cool, and full of Bible knowledge. Always has great comments!

-And the last miracle I wanted to mention was that 6 people promised to come to church on Sunday! SIX! We were pumped. Now, only 1 showed up, but we are still happy. Because that is 6 people that want to change and learn more about the gospel and come closer to Christ by following his commandments! Now Satan might have hit those other 5 hard this week, but I am still full of hope. Why? Because we are on the winning side! Onward and upward!

Also.... you know you're in the South when you knock on a door and a man answers the door, wearing a jersey, beer in hand, and before we say a word he takes one look at our nametags, looks at us with a disbelieving expression, and says, "Uhhh... we're watching football." *slam*
Jesus vs football. Sigh.

Lastly, if you remember nothing else from what you've just read, please remember this:
"If you desire to make a difference in the world, you must be different from the world."
-Elaine S. Dalton

I love you all.
Sister Szilagyi

No comments:

Post a Comment