Sunday, December 22, 2013

So Very Very Sweet

Well, it's official. I am finally old enough that I actually forgot my own birthday. I never understood how people could just "forget" their birthdays, but now I get it. It wasn't until Sister W told me "Happy Birthday!" in the morning, that I actually remembered. And for most of the day, I kept forgetting. I've felt so loved this week though. Sister W made me delicious mint brownies, Sister R (the ward relief society president) gave me a beautiful basket full of goodies, and Elder H and Elder C baked me brownies and gave me a wonderful apple cinnamon candle with a bow tied around (courtesy of Elder H). In his words: "It was just so pretty!" I love those guys. They are just the best.

A super special thank you to all of the amazing people that sent me cards/packages: the Tryon's: Thank you so much for thinking of me! And thank you for your letters! The Burnham's: I love you two so much, and I'm waiting until Christmas to look inside the stocking. The Shield's: I loved your package so much. And my companion is making me wait until Christmas to look up the scriptures and open the presents, you guys are so wonderful! THANK YOU THANK YOU

This week was plum full of excitement. I have been praying for more opportunities to meet/talk to people. And for all of you who are unaware, be careful what you pray for, because Heavenly Father answers your prayers. I was able to experience many mighty miracles this week. On the way home from a baptism, a man was parked just inside the church parking lot because his car had broken down. The elders stopped to help him, and after talking with him for approximately 2 minutes, he wanted to be baptized. 2 minutes. Broken down in the church parking lot. Baptism. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Some of the excitement includes: our car battery dying, which caused us to meet a lovely older man in his truck who gave us a jump. Locking our keys inside of the apartment with no phone, no bags, nothing, which caused us to meet the less active members who live above the elders and who lovingly gave us a ride to the church. And having our phone fall into a smoothie. Let me explain. We were driving, and I had set the phone on top of the middle arm rest. The car in front of us did some erratic movement, and Sis Waddoups made a sudden stop. Well that brand new phone slid right off into a cup of smoothie that was our breakfast. Just perfectly, plop. Struggles. It stopped working for a while, but after being put in rice and numerous prayers, it was fixed! A true Christmas miracle! And we are known as "the Smoothie Sisters." Yepp...

We've also been going Christmas caroling with the other elders and sisters... Have I mentioned how much I love dollar stores? That is where we acquired our festive accessories. And everyone loves a group of people singing them happy Christmas songs!

On Thursday, we were teaching the at the R's and E (A's younger sister) was there as well. As we were reviewing the Restoration lesson that E had missed, one of her cousins (who is 7, who had been at the first lesson asked if she could teach help teach. She had been pretty quiet and reserved when we were first teaching her, and I hadn't been sure how much she was understanding. However, during the lesson, she turned to me and said, "Remember how you told me that all of the people I meet are my brothers and sisters? Well I told that to my friends at school. I told them that we were all brothers and sisters." And throughout the lesson, she kept chiming in and repeating things I had said in that first lesson, word for word. I was struck by how much our simple lesson had affected her. And E wants to get baptized. How wonderful is that? Sitting at that kitchen table, surrounded by 5 young girls and Grandma R, all paying close attention to our words, I felt so amazingly blessed for the opportunity to teach simple truths and to be a missionary. There is no greater feeling than that, I assure you. Sweet is the work. So very very sweet.

And for a final thought: On Sunday, one of our lessons was all about Christ and the timeline of His life. Sometimes I feel a bit discouraged and upset with my own performance/success as a missionary. And I was struck with an overwhelming thought. Christ, the perfect teacher, faced an enormous amount of persecution and rejection. Who am I to believe that I deserve any better than He? Who am I to assume that the same wouldn't happen to me, one so much more inferior in every aspect. Even with His perfection, people have their agency. And what a difficult and beautiful part of the plan it is.

In the words of M. Russell Ballard: "Trust the Lord. He is the good shepherd. He knows His sheep. And His sheep know His voice." I love you all. Have a blessed and happy holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment