Monday, January 5, 2015

Gizzard and Tripe

Happy New Year!

What a week, what a week, what a week!

Seriously, things are pretty crazy over here! Crazy busy, but in the best way possible!

Exciting news:

-The whole J family was able to come to church this week, and B is getting ready and is so excited for his baptism on January 17th!

-Many many less active families that we've been working with came to church this week! It's always a good week when they have to open up BOTH of the overflow areas and the boys passing the sacrament have to come get more water cups :)

-So we've have been working with a less-active family on and off for a while... Well, one night this week, our bishop texts us and told us that he has been talking with the family, and the youngest girl wants to be baptized. He recommended that we be the missionaries that teach her and that we should meet with her as soon as possible. We met with her and her family, set up a baptismal calendar and she is very excited for her baptism on Jan 17th! That makes two baptisms to look forward to on that day, whoo hoo!

-Neil Anderson of the Quorum of the Twelve apostles and Elder Soares of the Presidency of the Seventy are coming to speak to our mission next Saturday! Can't wait!

-I ate gizzard and tripe this week. The elders made me do it... Well, they didn't make me, but I may have this pride issue that I'm working on...

-I had moments of just pure happiness this week. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I would like to leave you with a moment from Saturday:

So Sister Owusu is black. Not sure if you could tell from the pictures.... Anywho, we have this old couple that we are teaching and they grew up in Southern GA in the midst of racial prejudice. And because dear old F is such a sweetie, she feels as though it is her job to personally uplift and encourage Sister Owusu to not get down about her skin-color. This week, I had to look down at the table and avoid eye contact with my lovely companion, or else we both would have died laughing. I mean, things such as: "You are so special. Probably even more special than her" (gesturing at me) Cool F. Cool. Or "One day, us white people are going to have to pay for what we did..." (Sis Owusu is just sitting there like, umm... I'm from Africa, sooo...)

Oh the joys of missionary life.

And from Dieter F. Uchtdorf:

"Isn’t it true that we often get so busy? And, sad to say, we even wear our busyness as a badge of honor, as though being busy, by itself, was an accomplishment or sign of a superior life.
Is it?
I think of our Lord and Exemplar, Jesus Christ, and His short life among the people of Galilee and Jerusalem. I have tried to imagine Him bustling between meetings or multitasking to get a list of urgent things accomplished.
I can’t see it.
Instead I see the compassionate and caring Son of God purposefully living each day. When He interacted with those around Him, they felt important and loved. He knew the infinite value of the people He met. He blessed them, ministered to them. He lifted them up, healed them. He gave them the precious gift of His time."

This year, let's give those around us more of our time. I love you all. And y'all are beautiful.

Sister Szilagyi

No comments:

Post a Comment